Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow Cave

Last week, we had enough snow fall in my area to close the schools for a day. I spent a few hours shoveling the snow off of the sidewalk and driveway. I use snow shoveling as a form of winter exercise, despite the inevitable chiding I get from my neighbor. I decided to pile all of the snow from the back of the driveway and the patio into one big pile. Once the snow was all piled high, I dug out a tunnel through the middle of the snow hill. Anna had a blast crawling through it. My inspiration came from a bigger snow cave the older kids at Anna's school had made after the previous big snowfall, and from an old Boy Scout wilderness survival manual. It wouldn't be too much more work to make the necessary modifications for a proper overnight snow cave. Wouldn't want to find out if it's overnight capable except in an emergency! But this is the closest I've come to fulfilling my wish to winter camp. It's snowing again today, so if there's enough to add another "wing" to the snow cave, I'll post a pic.

Yesterday, Anna and I were supposed to go rabbit hunting with my buddy and his son. Anna's asthma acted up on Sunday and she wasn't quite ready for outdoor exertion on Monday morning. She was very disappointed, as was I, and I have promised her we'll go later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment